The prime purpose of a sous chef job description is to provide a crystal clear overview of the position and generate maximum interest.
An ideal sous chef job description should be able to invite maximum job applications.
Overview of a sous chef job description, roles & responsibilities.
A sous chef is one of the most critical positions in a professional kitchen. So is writing a perfect sous chef job description.
You may simply tweak the below-mentioned sous chef job description in your own words and put in your own specifics. The below-mentioned roles and responsibilities provide a general overview of a sous chef position.
To write a perfect sous chef job description, start with a brief description of your organization (restaurant, hotel, facility). A paragraph that clearly states your mission and vision with a little glimpse of your history will help you connect with the job seeker.
What is a sous chef?
A sous chef is second in command and reports to the head chef.
The primary job of a sous chef is to oversee the day to day kitchen operations, including but not limited to menu creation, food purchasing stocking, scheduling work hours, performance review, maintaining hygiene standards, audits, and maintenance of quality standards of the restaurant.
A sous chef is also responsible for the cost control, supervision, hiring, and training of junior chefs, and commis.
A sous chef can be someone with a degree in culinary arts or someone who is extensively trained and holds years of experience in varied hospitality establishments, like a restaurant, cruise, catering, hotels, etc.
Sous chef job description
- Assisting the Head Chef and Sous Chef in creating menu items, recipes and preparing high-quality dishes
- Following the instructions and recommendations and also taking care of daily food preparation and duties assigned by the Head chef to uphold the quality standards set by the Restaurant.
- Managing daily requirements, functions, and last-minute events.
- Responsible for hiring, training, and mentoring junior chefs and kitchen staff
- Estimating & managing daily production needs and checking the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Ensuring that the preparation and presentation of food are of the highest quality at all times.
- Assisting the Head Chef with menu items, recipes, methods of preparation, and presentation standards.
- Responsible for supervising junior chefs and commis.
- Ensure the highest level of guest satisfaction, presentation & qualities.
- Reporting kitchen malfunctioning, broken equipment, and electronics.
- Ensuring effective communication between departments
- Conducting daily standups to motivate, brief day plan, listening and addressing any roadblocks ensuring the team meets the deadlines and quality standards
- Daily feedback collection and reporting of issues as they arise.
Key Skills required for a sous chef position
Sous Chef Qualifications/Skills:
- Experience in various culinary arts, cuisine, cooking methods, ingredients, and procedures
- Kitchen management skills
- Leadership skills
- Creative skills
- Should be able to act independently
- Time-management skills
- Decision-making skills
- Can work under pressure
- Should be ready to face uncertain situations
Apart from the roles and responsibilities, you may want to include a list of perks and benefits that your organization offers in your sous chef job description.
An ideal sous chef job description must include detailed guidelines on the application process, interview process, and required documentation.