We frequently receive requests for endorsements from our employees, students, or former colleagues. Writing a letter of recommendation can be a difficult task. I’m sure you don’t want to come across as naive to the receiver. If you have just agreed to write a letter of recommendation for someone, you may require assistance in writing a perfect recommendation letter.
You’ll find a few recommendation letter templates here, as well as a detailed step-by-step guide on how to write a recommendation letter and advice on writing a positive and effective recommendation letter.
People face fierce competition out there. Getting a job or a college seat has never been more difficult. Employers nowadays prefer candidates who have a letter of recommendation from their previous employer. Before admitting students, educational institutions around the world ask for a recommendation letter.
A professionally written recommendation letter may help the individual secure a job or gain a significant advantage. Let’s look at how to write a letter of recommendation and why it’s important to include a positive note of appreciation and its components.
What is a recommendation letter?
A recommendation letter is a positive note containing words of appreciation and endorsements that highlights an individual’s skills, strengths, experience and position them as an ideal candidate for a job or admission to an educational institution.
Elements of an effective recommendation letter
- Addressee: It is crucial that you determine the letter’s addressee. It will help you in writing the letter in the proper fashion.
- Intention:The second most important element of a letter of recommendation is the intent or the purpose. It is important to understand whether you are writing the letter to assist the individual in obtaining a job or college admission.
- Relation:Before you write a letter of recommendation for someone, Determine whether the individual has previously worked for or with you at an organisation, or if he or she is a former student of yours.
- Qualities: If you are endorsing someone for his skills and expertise, you should check to see if those skills are relevant to the job. Also, if the individual possesses the necessary skills for the job.
- Experience: Determine how the individual has demonstrated those skills or qualities to you.
Remember that a positive recommendation letter specifically discusses and provides examples of the individual’s relevant skills and qualities. Thus, The recommendation letter should be able to present the individual as a better candidate than others.
How to write a recommendation letter?
A letter of recommendation must be professional, personalized, and outline the individual’s strengths and qualities.
- Professional format: Since a recommendation letter is expected to highlight an individual’s professional skills, professional letter writing standards must be followed. You’d find a few professional recommendation letters at the end of this article for your reference.
- Prepare a list of relevant skills and strengths: Prepare a list of relevant skills and strengths before beginning to write a letter of recommendation. Consider the specific characteristics of the person that wowed you. It will help you in selecting the appropriate keywords to highlight the strongest characteristics. Check to see if the skills you’re mentioning are relevant to the job.
- Provide an example: Providing an example of an incident in which the candidate demonstrated exceptional skills and impressed you is an excellent way to recommend someone. Is he, for example, a great salesman or a programmer with an x-factor?
- Proofread: When you’re finished writing the letter, double-check it for spelling and grammar errors.
Recommendation letter samples
Recommendation letter for employee ( Text version)
April 19, 2022
26th Baker street, NY 54032
To Whom It May Concern:
Jason Smith has been a Software Developer at TCS Infotech, where I am the Project Manager, for four years. During this time, He was a reliable resource who never failed to surprise us with his creativity and out-of-the-box thinking abilities.
Jason was a valuable member of the team. He was always up for a challenge and was always willing to push himself. Furthermore, Jason is highly motivated and eager to learn.
Jason has played an important role in the development of several key projects for the company. He is relocating due to family obligations, and we will no longer have the privilege of having him with us.
Recommendation letter for student template
Recommendation letter for student template (Text Version)
Address, SF 34520
April 19, 2022
University of Chicago
26th Bakers Street
Santacruz, NY 34682
To Whom It May Concern:
I’m delighted to recommend John Doe for admission to the Master of Business Administration Program at the University of Chicago.
I was John’s teacher and mentor during his four years at the Barcelona College of Management. John demonstrated exceptional creativity, enthusiasm, and analytical abilities.
His problem-solving and management abilities are truly outstanding – for his major 30-day startup challenge, he researched and presented a remarkable study of consumer behaviour, branding and promotion challenges and solutions, and potential product ideas.
John’s academic credentials are complemented by his demonstrated leadership abilities – he led the university’s corporate connect team for more than two years and was also captain of the student football team.
Please let me know if you require any additional information to strengthen his candidacy for the MBA programme.